Running Isn't Easy

Sharing a little about our journey along the miles.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

25 Minute Cardio

In the event that I actually make it to our fitness center for some cross training, I am usually - as I'm sure you are - pressed for time. If the weather is nice enough and I have the extra few minutes, I like to ride my bike there for a little extra cardio.

Here's my 20-25 minute cardio routine (thanks to my PT) that I do on the elliptical or exercise bike:
  • 3 minute warm-up (easy building to moderate intensity)
  • intervals: 45s at a moderate intensity, 15s at a high intensity (repeat for 15-20 minutes)
  • 2 minute cool-down (make sure your heart rate is coming down slowly)


If I can spare another 10-15 minutes, I usually move over to the weights for the following (2 sets of 10-15 reps):
  • Leg Press or Squat (superset with calf raises)
  • Lat Pull Down or Seated Row (superset with plie squat)
  • Pec Press or Push-up (superset with stiff legged deadlift)
  • 2-3 minutes of crunches (working rectus abdominus and obliques)

I can usually fit this routine into 40 minutes or less, and I know my husband is grateful for that if both the kids are awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment