Running Isn't Easy

Sharing a little about our journey along the miles.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Podcasts

I've started listening to podcasts on my long runs.  The pro is that I find them very distracting and entertaining.  My favorites are Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me and Car Talk (just FYI, I have no interest in cars but Click and Clack are hysterical!).  The con is that I run slower listening to podcasts than I do with my music.  All my run music is up tempo, dance type music (go figure), and I tend to run with the beat.   But long runs are supposed to be slower, right?

I just saw that Another Mother Runner has some podcasts, so I've downloaded those for my next medium-long run.  When did 8-10 miles become not a long run?  I'm not sure . . .

Do you have suggestions for how to get out of the house without the kids for a long run?  My strategy lately involves getting up very early on Sunday mornings and leaving before anyone else is awake.  The main downside is that I am too tired to fix my hair for church and have been wearing it in a bun (which is actually OK because it's so hot, I don't want to use heat in way, shape or form to fix it) AND I am fidgety during church.  Me and my 4 year old are bouncing in our seats during the service.  But I digress.  I typically leave Hubby a short list that says something like please feed the girls and get them dressed (I have to lay out the clothes, sometimes food suggestions too).  I would like to leave water on the front porch and stop back by the house once or twice, but I'm fearful I will also get at least one girl in a stroller if I do that.  ;)  It's happened before.  I don't mind doing long runs with Little Miss Spitfire, especially if she falls asleep, but I know Angel Girl's max right now is about 45 minutes and then she just wants O-U-T.

No comments:

Post a Comment