Running Isn't Easy

Sharing a little about our journey along the miles.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

8 Miles

I managed to run 8 miles with My Neighbor on Friday, and I felt great (at least while I was running). 

We ran two 4-mile loops.  I warned My Neighbor as we were beginning that (a) I hadn't been feeling that great and (b) I wasn't sure how long the girls would last.  My Neighbor wanted to do a 9 mile run.  I was hoping for at least 4 or 5 miles, my daily standard. 

Can I just say how nice it is to run with someone else who's running?  And not just the someones in the stroller.  Don't get me wrong, I love my girls.  I took up running because I could do it and keep them with me.  But they don't really converse with me and my newly 4-year-old Angel Girl has no idea how hard I'm working to push her. 

Back on topic.  The first 4-mile loop seemed to pass by quickly.  I had been keeping a mental list of things I wanted to ask advice on and I plowed through them as I got the chance.  My Neighbor reminded me several times that slow is good for long runs.  Not a problem.  I was not feeling tip-top and I had both girls in the Bob Duallie (read: heavy, a lot of weight to push). 

When we stopped for water after the first loop, I was feeling good.  No one was whining.  I decided to start the second loop at the very least.  More chatting and the first 3 miles passed quickly.  As we hit the 7th mile, I could feel it.  I was getting slower on the hills (however minor they might be).  At 7.5 miles the whining began.  Luckily, that meant only 1/2 mile to home.  So while My Neighbor grabbed some water, I ran the last .05 mile to round out my 8 miles and then started a walking cool down.  I'm sure she enjoyed that last mile in peace and quiet. 

I'm just thankful that, once again, she got me out for a long run.  We've got a Half in June that I know is coming, but I've yet to come up with any real schedule to train for it.  This is so unlike me.

No comments:

Post a Comment